Our History

Celebrating 45 Years in 2016!

Caldwell Church of The Nazarene is located in the Village of Caldwell located along the West Fork of Duck Creek. Our village is named after Joseph and Samuel Caldwell, its original landowners. Caldwell is the county seat for Noble County.  Noble is the youngest county in the State of Ohio (number 88) and was formed on March 11, 1851, from portions of Guernsey, Morgan, Monroe, and Washington counties. Our county is named after Representative Warren P. Noble of the Ohio House of Representatives, who was an early settler here.

In July of 1971, Rev. Willis Scott came to Caldwell and conducted evangelistic services in the old Noble Theatre located around the village square. The response was so tremendous that he continued holding four services each week. On October 3, 1971, Rev. Floyd Flemming, Superintendent of the Akron District Church of The Nazarene, organized the Caldwell Church of The Nazarene with ten members and appointed Rev. Harold Bughman as its first pastor.

In October of 1972, the Akron District Advisory Board purchased the old Caldwell Produce building and proceeded with plans for its renovation, which began in December of that year. The renovation was completed in April 1973. On Palm Sunday evening, April 15, 1973, the congregation moved into their newly renovated worship facility (our current facility) located at 6 Cumberland Street.

 

Flower